A small park with a swimming pool, dance hall, and other facilities, Rumbles Grove served as a popular outing spot in Drums for a few decades.
Name(s): Rumbles Grove
Opened: circa 1920s
Closed: circa 1960s
Location: St. Johns Road near Old Turnpike Road in Drums, PA 18222
Today: Remnants of pool
Trolley/Railroad Park: No
Roller Coasters: None
Rumble’s Grove was a popular destination for picnics and swimming in the late 1940s and early 1950s, though the exact length of operation is yet unclear, it may have opened as early as the 1920s. Although there were no amusement rides, the park featured a dance hall, sheltered picnic facilities, playground equipment, concession stands, a penny arcade, and a large swimming pool.
The pool was fed by Nescopeck Creek, which the park was situated along. A metal trough or pipe diverted water from the stream into the pool, which led to the water remaining cool and crisp, and changing over every two hours. Across the street from the park was a stable that rented horses for riding around the area, and there were several cabins available for overnight stays.
Wilkes College, in Wilkes-Barre, held several outings at the park. The student council sponsored a day at the park in July of 1948, and the college’s chapter of Theta Delta Rho held a wiener roast there on an evening in late October 1954.
Rumble’s Grove likely closed in the 1960s, as competition from Angela Park, just a few miles east, must have taken a toll on the small park. Remnants of the pool may still be on-site, as several readers have noted seeing them as late as 2006.
- Wilkes College Beacon – July 30, 1948 and October 21, 1954
- Luzerne Legal Register Reports, v. 54, 1958
- Submissions by A. Cranston, D. DeCosmo, L. Thacher, and J. Troutman
Last research update: January 7, 2010
Last page update: March 12, 2021