Hillside Park

One of the latest parks to open the area, Hillside Park got its start sometime in the 1970s as a small family oriented amusement center by Jim and Eva Landers. The park was home to several rides and concessions, including a Ferris wheel, boat ride, whip, hand carts, various food stands and games, a picnic grove, and an historic carousel. The carousel was built by Herschell-Spillman, and was a pre-1922 model featuring hand carved wooden horses.

The park closed in the early to mid 1980s, and the park’s owners passed away in the 1990s. What happened to the rides, including the carousel, is not yet known. Two of the horses from the carousel may have remained within the family. The exact location of the park remains unclear.

Sources

  • Art of the Carousel, by Charlotte Dinger
  • Email sent in by A. Johannes
Last updated: 01/03/2010

Fast Facts:

Name(s): Hillside Park

Open: 1970s

Closed: by mid-1980s

Location: Honesdale, PA 18431

Today: Unknown

Trolley Park: No

Railroad Park:No

Roller Coasters: None